Saturday, July 12, 2008

Week in Review

This is when I will really be tested... Life is back to "normal." No more exams, no more cramming, just research, research, research.

Food
This week has been pretty good I think. I packed my lunch 4 days out of the week and 3 of those days consisted of a sandwich with carrot sticks and celery. I ate out for lunch once. I ate out for dinner twice. I ate breakfast everyday - I can't function without it. I did not have any sodas this week, drank tons of water, juice (made from only fruit concentrate), unsweetened tea, and milk. Snacking could have been better, ate a candy bar once and had corn chips at work, but I also had salsa (homemade) and chips at home.

Exercise
So far, I've worked out 3 days this week - Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Monday and Wednesday were 60 min. cardio and Tuesday was 20 min. cardio with and then weights afterwards. Thursday nights and Friday nights are hard days to work out, since these are the most "social" days of the week for me. I've really enjoyed working out at night. This is typically my snacking time, so if I'm working out, I'm not eating. I get back by 10 pm, take the dogs out for a walk (again) and on a good night, go to bed. I want to work out a minimum of 4 days a week, ideally 5-6 days a week. This will either force a Sunday workout, which I'm usually not a fan of doing, or morning workouts on Thursday and Friday.

Sleep
I know what you're thinking, sleep? Why does it matter how much sleep she got this week? Well, all I know is that lack of sleep really messes with me. I can't get up in the morning, I get really unmotivated to do anything, and it becomes easier for me to be lazy and not work out. I know I'm getting enough sleep when I wake up before my alarms. Yes, you heard that right, alarms. I've been known to turn off alarms, go back to sleep, and then get mad that the alarm did not wake me up. I have to have multiple alarms to make sure I get up in the morning and if I need all the alarms, I'm usually pretty cranky. Well, this week, I didn't do too well. I was sleeping really well when I was studying for my exams mostly because I wasn't watching tv. I would turn on the radio, study, and go to bed. If I have the tv on, I tend to zone in on the tv. I end up wasting time in the morning before school, I stay up late at night just to watch "5 more minutes!" of a show, and I go to bed late. This week, I got to watch tv and I stayed up late almost every night. On top of that, I've been reading my book, so I stay up even later trying to finish a chapter.

For the upcoming week:
Food - Keep packing a lunch, something simple and hopefully with fruit and/or vegetables. I need to make better choices when I eat out for dinner and watch my portions.
Exercise - 3 days is good for me, let's try at least 4 days this coming week. I like alternating cardio with weights, so I'll keep that up. Ankle has been hurting, so I need to be careful not to run too much. Biking and elliptical don't seem to hurt at all.
Sleep - I'm going to aim to go to bed no later than 11 pm this week. Read a chapter and then go to bed. If I'm really into the story, go to bed earlier.

Have a great rest of weekend everyone! I'll start posting my weigh-ins next weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your review and goal idea.

and how realistic it all is.


if youre in my 'hood swing by on monday as Im yammering about GOAL SETTING for the *final* six months of 2008 (where is the time going!)

Miz.

Anonymous said...

"I've really enjoyed working out at night."

It's so interesting that different people have such different times that they enjoy working out. For me, nothing beats a 5:30 a.m. workout.