Thursday, June 19, 2008

Every little bit helps

I've been doing alright. I actually worked out Wednesday night. It took a bit of work, but I managed to get myself to the gym and got on the treadmill. I slept really well that night! I didn't get a chance to go today, I wasn't really planning on it, but I'm hoping to go tomorrow and Saturday.

The soda thing seems to be working out so far though. I had a soda on Monday, non-caffeinated. I had a SpriteZero on Tuesday, but since then, I've just have juice, water, milk, or unsweetened tea. I'm happy to report that I am not missing the sodas, but it's week one so far. Surprisingly enough, I'm also not craving sweets as much. The girls in my lab like taking candy breaks and I've managed to cut down on the candy some, though I had some SweetTart candies today.

Portions. Portions. Portions. That's what I have to remember. Going out to eat only reminds me how terrible American portion sizes are. One of my friends is German and he is constantly amazed how some of the guys will eat, eat, and eat, stuff themselves, and eat some more. "Oh, I'm so stuffed! Wait, I still have food left." It's funny to see his reaction, but really, what are we doing to ourselves? I know there have been too many times when I've gone out to eat and I finish my plate despite me not being able to eat another bite. I somehow find room and then later that night I still feel it and I even wake up feeling awful. And I do it again the next time. Well, I'm trying to make efforts to stop. We went to Famous Dave's today for Thursday Wings Night. Several of us from the department will get together on Thursdays for "wings" and go somewhere to eat and vent and just talk about random stuff. Well, I'm figuring out that I need to retrain myself to stop eating when I'm full. Wait, isn't it supposed to be when you're 80% full? I did pretty well today. I didn't finish my meal and actually left half of my meal. We went for frozen custard afterward, and even then I didn't finish my dessert. I didn't even miss the rest of it... this time. I know that it's gonna be a constant battle, to eat what I need and not what I want. I'll just keep working on it.

No comments: