Tuesday, June 17, 2008

So busy - too busy?

Did I mention how busy these next couple of weeks are going to be? As part of the fellowship that pays my salary, I am working with a high school teacher next year to help out in class and learn how to put together lessons and manage a class, etc. Well, this summer, she (Mrs. R) is working with me, doing research, and mostly learning how to use my instrument. She is in lab from 9-3pm, with a break for lunch. This will continue until July 18th. Well, on top of that, I have a high school student, J, who will be working with me 9-3 as well for the rest of the summer and then throughout the school year (not necessarily from 9-3). As a 4th year grad student, I also have to submit and defend a proposal for the research I've done and what I plan to continue doing to finish my Ph.D. Well, I've submitted the proposal and I have a defense date of June 30th that I need to prepare for. Oh yeah, did I mention my advisor also wants to have a paper submitted soon?

Goodness! I'm just ready for this summer to be over, but then, that's what I said about last semester too. I keep coming up with excuses for why it's okay for me not to workout. I tend to like working out in the morning better, but I'm hoping that I get a knack for the night workouts. What's worse, is I end up feeling as though I neglect my dogs by leaving them so much. It's bad enough I keep them in the kitchen all day, now I'm not gonna be home at night either? Hmmm, I'll have to figure something out. Maybe if I start sleeping better I'll be able to get up earlier, so I keep my evenings... I sure hope so.

So, I've made it 2 days without caffeine, though I have sort of been cheating - I've been drinking iced tea. Does that count? I'm not putting sweetener in it and I've had maybe a glass a day. I figured it was a lot less caffeine than any type of coke and at least I'm not leaving caffeine cold turkey. Can you believe I was getting nauseous yesterday? Maybe I was just really hungry, but drinking the tea helped, at least I thought it did.

Anyway, well, I've finally done an official weigh in: 246 lbs. This has to be the heaviest I've ever weighed, EVER. At my height, that puts me at 45% BMI. I'm astounded. Let me say this once and for all: "I. Don't. Want. To. Be. This. Heavy. Again. Ever." I need to stop using my busy-ness as an excuse to not work out. I need to eat better and get myself used to eating more fruits and veggies. I need to cut down on the greasy stuff. I have to.

No comments: