Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's a start!

The last couple of weeks have been especially hectic for me. I've been out of town more days than have been in town, having gone to two separate weddings each weekend. The first was a friend's wedding, whose reception was held next door to the governor's mansion (in Minnesota). The second was my brother's wedding, back in Texas. It was a simple JP wedding, which turned out quite nice and relatively drama-free. I came back, was home for two days which allowed me to work on a huge paper for grad school, get a poster together for a conference, and now, here I am, in Pennsylvania for the conference.

I feel like I haven't slept in the last three weeks, which is almost the truth. I've been pulling too many late nights with early risings and I am just ready to sleep in! Fortunately, this conference only lasts until Friday and I should be home and travel-free for the next couple of months at least.

Well, one of the nice things about going back home, besides the real summer weather (it was 107 when I was there!) was the fact that I was able to get this cold completely out of my system. Last month, I thought I'd make an effort in getting more physically active and started to work out. I worked my way up to 3-4 workouts a week, just cardio, so I could get my endurance up. I really enjoy the treadmill - I know, it's not something you hear everyday, but I love the fact that it will force me to keep the same pace if I set it that way. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I had been working out and in the crazy weather that is Indiana, I got chilled and hence I got sick. Stupid cold stayed with me for weeks, and in th end, I was left with some minor congestion that mostly only made working out difficult. I would get winded walking to the car! I know I'm heavy, but come on!

Anyway, going to Texas and enjoying the west Texas heat helped clear me out and I've been congestion-free ever since. Yay!

Well, we are here at Penn State, staying at a nice hotel near campus and I am proud to say I've gotten back on the workout wagon! Last night, MB, who is training for a marathon, talked me into working out with her. It was surprisingly fun and I felt really good, especially after the greasy, fried meal I had for dinner. I didn't do much, mostly walk with a few stints of running, but it was definitely better than sitting on my butt watching tv. :)

No comments: